Friday 8 February 2019

The Magic of Munsch!

My personal all time favourite author study is underway in Room 21!  We tried to guess how many books Robert Munsch has written and decided to read them all and keep track on a chart. Will we reach 100?

I shared with the class that I met Robert Munsch in person and told them the story behind his visit to Sinclair School in February of 1993.  (I was teaching a few of my current class's parents at the time!)


Back in 1990, after we read some of his books, all nine students in Grade 1 - 3 wrote a letter to Robert Munsch. His reply back to the Halls sisters is below. 




Time went on and we kind of forgot about it until one day two years later on recess duty - Maureen told me Robert Munsch was coming to visit their house! I can still picture the moment when she showed me the letter that the girls had received back.  



After a couple of reschedules, it was finally set to happen in February of 1993.  Robert Munsch arrived at Sinclair School with his daughter Tyya for one of our amazing pot-luck lunches and an afternoon of story telling. What an event to remember!  
from the Reston Recorder (I'm in the top left in the busy 90's sweater!)

from The Brandon Sun - March 1, 1993
Twenty six years later and now I'm still reading Robert Munsch to my students and he is still writing books. Bear for Breakfast (due out next week) is his latest and I can hardly wait to read it with a group of eager students at my feet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment