Monday 8 December 2014

The Littles



Did you ever read any of The Littles books?  They have been around for years but I hadn't read one for a long time.  Recently Mrs. Grieg was cleaning out her book shelf and offered some of her books from the series to our room.  The class thought we should read it and reluctantly, I agreed.  I had recalled not really enjoying the books but we got started.

I had intended to only read a chapter but the story kept making us want to read just one more chapter! In the end, I finished reading the whole book aloud in only two days!  It was a big hit, especially when The Littles made friends with the cat at the end!

I feel that reading aloud to Grade 2 and 3 students is so important!  It models fluent reading and I stop to discuss the book frequently and we talk about what we think will happen next or what we think something means or why someone did something.  This shows the students there is so much more to reading than saying the words on the page!  You have to think while you read to understand what the author is saying with the words.


The school library has many books in this series and some of the students plan to take one home next Friday when they choose their book.  Thanks Mrs. Grieg !

No comments:

Post a Comment